Friday 28 December 2018

September 2018, FHC more jobs

The October 19th date for the Lombard Rally Bath 2018 was fast approaching and we were going to be away for four weeks from mid-September to mid-October so the pressure was on to get most of the jobs on the FHC finished before that.

The old rubber flaps on the rear quarter air vents had been in a bad state when I had taken them off so they needed replacement.  It was easy to use the old ones for templates and cut new ones from some thin rubber sheet I bought on Ebay.
These flaps look past their best.
New air flaps cut from thin rubber sheet.


Putting the plastic trims back over the top was a real pain. They are held on by four "T" shaped plastic bolts with a 4mm thread which can strip or twist off very easily, so I used new nuts and plenty of lubricant, tightening them very carefully. They also need some spacers and rubber seals where they go through the body which were all missing from my car. Someone had obviously been there before me and lost those bits!  I made my own seals from rubber sheet and spacers from some rubber fuel pipe but all this excellent work is hidden and all you see is the plastic trim!

All that good work is hidden!
The door seals were not very good and I had read quite a bit on various forums about the problems finding replacements and the poor quality. Generic seals are OK but need the top corner of the door to be shaped correctly to give a good fit.  I discovered a TR7 owner in Australia called Tony Zorzo who had the same troubles had got some remanufactured to a high standard so I went for a set of those. They worked out a bit expensive after paying shipping and customs duty but they are an excellent fit.
Door seals good as new.
The interior came together fairly well but I plan to add some soundproofing later when I have finished all the mechanical jobs.  I even have those little clips to stow your seat belt in on the sills. The vinyl of the rear parcel shelf is a bit bubbly where it has come unstuck but that is pretty much standard on most cars.

I also had to add some power supplies for the satnav and tripmeter. I made a mounting bracket for the trip out of thin aluminium and fixed it with velcro so it can also be removed easily. 
Ready to go in here.




No comments:

Post a Comment