Monday 17 December 2018

August 2018, FHC Front Suspension Stuff and Rear Axle

Front Suspension:

Having rebuilt the struts I also assembled the rest of the parts for the front suspension. I had a spare pair of bottom arms with polybush inner mounts and new ball joints but they needed new gaiters. I also cleaned up a spare anti-roll bar and fittings with its lowering kit. This is used in an attempt to reduce front end dive under heavy braking, but there are varying opinions about how well it works.

I also sorted out a set of polybush mountings and spacers for the front subframe. The TR8 subframe spacers are to avoid the top of the future Sprint engine making contact with the bonnet.

Subframe Polybushes
TR8 Spacers and longer their bolts.
Rear Axle

I had a spare rear axle in the garage so decided would be easier to rebuild it ready to just swap onto the car rather than do it all on the car when it came back from the bodyshop.  I rebuilt the brakes using TR8 wheel cylinders and new pipes and replaced the self adjusting mechanisms.  The TR8 wheel cylinders are slightly larger diameter than the TR7 ones so give more rear braking. This would match nicely with the new bigger front brakes and uprated servo.
I also had a nice alloy rear diff cover from a Rover SD1 which goes straight onto the TR7 axle.  Its not necessary but looks better in my opinion.
New brakes and Rover SD1 diff cover ready to fit
So I finished up with this lot on the floor of the garage and just waiting for the rest of the car to come back.
Ready to go, car body required.


No comments:

Post a Comment