Friday 28 December 2018

October 2018, FHC Final preparations for Lombard Rally Bath

The car was more or less ready to go for the Lombard Rally Bath 2018 on 19th-20th October but I did need to get the tyres replaced as the ones on the wheels were the wrong size and too old anyway.  I run 14" wheels and it turns out that the size I need - 195/60x14 - are not as common nowadays as they used to be. This size has the benefit of being exactly the same rolling diameter as the standard TR7 tyres of 185/70x13.  Budget brands were more common but some searching around found some better quality Firestone Firehawk TZ200 at a local supplier.  These seem to be a good result and feel nice on the car with low noise and decent grip levels.
One of the last jobs was to change the standard sealed beam headlights on the car to some more modern Lucas halogen H4 replacements.  Imagine my surprise when I took the rubber surrounds off the headlights and found all new mountings! My previous TR7 experience has been with nasty rusty ones.
Wow, all new. Never seen that on a TR7 before.
The car was now running, but not very well. The carb mounting rubbers did not look very nice with the usual cracks starting to appear so I swapped them for some better ones which improved things but not enough. I booked a quick session on my local rolling road at Maynard Engines where Martin spent a short time setting the carbs up properly and got it ticking over like a sewing machine. 
Car washed and ready for the Lombard.

No comments:

Post a Comment