Wednesday 18 September 2024

2024, April. Handbrake Compensator

2024 April, FHC Handbrake Compensator Bush

I always struggled to get a good handbrake on the FHC. Despite everything being new it never had a really good bite.  Even after giving the shoes enough mileage to bed in and manually adjusting the automatic adjusters it still did not work as well as I wanted it to. I even have extensions on the levers kindly supplied by Bruce Trundle as well.  When I saw some brass replacement compensator bushes for sale by S&S that seemed another good modification to add.  These replace the standard rubber ones that fail quite quickly.  Talking to my good friend Henry Brown who is a wizz at making stuff about them he said he would make me a set.

S&S brass handbrake compensator bushes

I sent him a spare compensator and sure enough, a little parcel arrived a couple of weeks later with the new brass bushes added.

Standard rubber bushes

Henry's brass replacements.

Fitted on the axle.

The compensator now moves perfectly freely - but I am not convinced it has improved the handbrake a great deal!

No comments:

Post a Comment