Monday 3 December 2018

December 2017: FHC goes to Body Shop

Just before I took the FHC to the bodyshop a selection of old TR7 parts popped up on Ebay at a very low starting price. It was mostly a lot of stuff to throw away but amongst it was five TR7 radiators and the seller was only about ten miles away so I put in the startng bid of £20.

Being a fairly early car my new FHC had its radiator header tank on the right side which I always thought gets in the way of the carbs etc so I planned to swap it over to the left side like on the later cars and where there is a lot more room.  The Ebay radiators were of both types so good spares either way if only for rebuild cores. Then my low starting bid won the auction.

When I went to collect the stuff there was much more than I expected and it filled the whole of our Mercedes estate car!

It also turned out that the seller had been a member of my motor club from the 1960s-70s and remembered my old rally cars.


Like many clubs 143 Motor Club folded in the 1980s as the active members moved away or married and had families which obviously was more important than playing with cars so most of us had lost touch.  Recently we have reformed on Facebook and have had a couple of nostalgic reunions.


 Sorting through the boxes of stuff at home I found a number of TR7 repair panels including all four sections to replace the rear lower wings behind the wheels as shown below.

This area of the new car was in need of tidying and these parts alone would be expensive to buy at almost £200 so my £20 was an even better bargain than I expected!  They went with the car to the bodyshop.
........................................

Once I started getting the car ready for the bodyshop I found quite a few more problems. This was not a surprise and I added these to the list of jobs for them.

A few pictures to give an idea of jobs to be done:-

Passenger front footwell:-

Rear deck end left side before:-





 That's more like it, it should look like this:-

Lower rear wing behind wheel:-




Lower rear wing, bodyshop work in progress:-







No comments:

Post a Comment